Anatomy & Physiology Lab 11: The Nervous System - Durable
Station Lab Activity 11a – The Nervous System
- Station lab activity that has students investigate the organs, histology, diseases, and characteristics of the nervous system. Students investigate whether they have any nerve damage in their forearms, visual acuity, and determine their reaction time.
Lab 11b – Cranial Nerves
- Lab activity that has students test the function of their cranial nerves. This activity is setup to be conducted with a partner, and each cranial nerve test is followed by a short description of disorders that may affect the function of that cranial nerve.
Lab 11c – Brain Anatomy
- Students dissect a sheep brain and place labeled dissecting pins to identify important internal and external structures of the brain. Students follow up by identifying the function of each brain structure.
Lab 11d – Smell & Taste
- Lab activity that has students investigate characteristics of smell and taste. Station activities will allow students to determine their olfactory acuity, observe sense accommodation, learn how taste and smell are linked, and compare taste sensations.
Activity 11e – Drug Interactions
- Internet activity using animations and activities by the Genetics Science Learning Center, on “Drug Abuse and Addiction”. Students use the site to explore the symptoms and negative effects of several categories of drugs, on neurotransmitters and/or receptors of the brain. The causes of addiction and tolerance are also explored.
Items included in this lab are listed below.
Pipe Cleaners, Straws, Essence A, Essence B, Essence C, Penlights, Dissecting Pins, Scalpels, Forceps, Scent 1A, Scent 1B, Scent 1C, Scent 1D, Scent 1E, Scent 2A, Scent 2B, Scent 2C, Scent 2D, Scent 2E, Student packet.
We Also Recommend